I went to the movies to see ‘Precious‘. If you have not heard of it, it is the movie adaptation of the book ‘PUSH‘ by Sapphire. After seeing the trailer, I knew it would be one of those movies I would have to see alone. I won’t give away the story, but I will tell you that it is about a sixteen year old girl growing up in Harlem who is pregnant with her second baby. Her father got her pregnant. There are many twists and turns, but through it all, Precious follows her simple dream. To read. To be a good mother.
I was angry for Precious.
As I was leaving the movie, I thought why in the world did I see this the night before Thanksgiving? After some thought, I have the answer. It happened for a reason. It is to make me appreciate all the good in my life.
To reinforce that life is indeed, PRECIOUS.
I’ve had my share of trials during 2009, but I remain thankful.
- I am thankful for my children, my family, my friends.
- I am thankful I can give love and be loved.
- I am thankful for good health.
- I am thankful for all the opportunities in my life.
- I am thankful that my children do not know what it is like to go to bed hungy, cold, or scared.
- I am thankful for you.
Today, take just a moment to think about all the people in this world right now who are hungry, cold, or scared. Those who are lonely or in poor health. Those who do not know what it feels like to be loved.
Go help one person.