Inside fast-paced workplaces, many leaders are challenged with optimizing staff scheduling. While there are still companies managing staff scheduling manually, most are using automated staff scheduling solutions. While there are many reasons for the move to automated solutions, the most important is to address the complexities around staffing and managing the workforce. Staffing solutions that provide ways for employees to manage their own requests via self-service, offer real-time scheduling, allow employees to bid on shifts, and manage their own leave requests are quickly becoming the “now” of workplace best practices. These same solutions help managers wade through the complexities of staffing in a more effective way.
Optimizing staff scheduling is good for business and good for the customer.There are numerous complexities for managers that drive the interest in doing this. Managers must consider the availability of certain workers, their skill level and their job level when making staffing decisions. Add to that the consideration of requests for time off, other types of leaves, holidays, and types of shifts, and you have a fairly complex situation. Lastly, those unexpected events, or those you are less likely to be able to predict such as weather and peaks and valleys in customer demand, make the whole scenario one that is filled with anxiety for managers and staff. These reasons all steer organizations to automated, integrated staff scheduling solutions.
Optimized scheduling solutions can impact your organization’s bottom line in several ways. Let’s examine the top 5 benefits organizations experience after implementing a staff scheduling solution.
- The ability to forecast business scenarios- In the past, staffing was either just replicated week after week, or staffing deficiencies were addressed only after they arose when someone failed to report to work. Today, managers have the ability to plan ahead based on all the complexities mentioned above.
- Reduces time spent on managing staff schedules- This frees managers up to spend more time on managing the client or customer needs. to give the best possible service to customers.
- Lowers payroll costs– When you are more accurate in placing the right number of staff on any given day and reducing the need for OT and over-staffing, you can reduce payroll costs. This reduction can be replicated on a regular basis.
- Having the right employee in the right place at the right time- When managers are able to staff at appropriate levels, they focus on having the employees with the right skills or job experience there to provide a higher level of customer service without gaps due to lack of skills or experience.
- Better identify gaps in supply and demand- This means that staff can be selected in advance and thus avoids them feeling like they are always notified at the last minute. Providing better communication between the managers and staff and enables a higher level of trust and thus, emphasizes the importance of optimizing staff scheduling.
By implementing a staff scheduling solution, your organization can realize these and many other benefits. What is working in your organization? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments.